Excel “chaos” is a common situation resulting from users saving multiple versions, lack of security of intellectual property embedded in spreadsheets, and unintentional edits by users. EASA provides a unique Excel spreadsheet management system that eliminates this chaos, and this includes EASA Web, EASA web services and EASA “Sheets”.
EASA Sheets provides a server-based system that secures the most current versions of your spreadsheets, and controls access and file handling for the end-users of these Excel files. The graphic below displays the architecture, and the steps for utilizing it are described below the graphic:
Using EASA Sheets involves the following steps (shown in above graphic)
- User requests required spreadsheet which resides on the central or corporate network.
- The EASA software clones copy of “master” and sends a protected version to the user.
- User makes use of the spreadsheet.
- On Save, the spreadsheet data is extracted by EASA and saved in central relational database, then deleted on the local device.
- Other users may open either a “clean” version, or may select a previously saved instance from the database.
Benefits of EASA Sheets
- No version confusion – As the “master” copy of the spreadsheet is saved on the server, only the correct and most up to date version is delivered to the user.
- Enhanced security – EASA Sheets can be configured so that it will not permit local saving of spreadsheets, making it impossible to have the spreadsheet attached to emails or copied.
- Database functionality – rather than saving individual spreadsheets (“flat files”), EASA extracts key information such as inputs and outputs, and places it into a central, relational database. This allows filtered searches, data analytics, and the ability to integrate with BI dashboarding software.
- Multi-user access – There is no locking out of users since everyone gets either a clean copy of the spreadsheet or one populated with data from a previous instance
- Collaboration – the saved data can be made available to any authorized users, enabling them to start with a spreadsheet previously populated by someone else.
- Rapid implementation and deployment – EASA Sheets involves minimal preparation and enables multiple spreadsheets to be managed extremely easily and quickly.